Tuesday, July 22, 2014

ISME, Day 2

Another great day at the ISME Conference!  Paul and I presented our poster session today.  There were nearly 300 posters up on display, organized by different 'commissions' or subgroups of ISME.  I spent a long time perusing the various posters, and look forward to going back to them tomorrow to follow up with some of the creators during the second dedicated poster session presentation time.  Today we were given an hour and a half to be present at our poster in order to connect with visitors, further explain our work, and network/make connections with others doing related work.  I've posted pictures of some of the other posters below.  It was impressive to see so many people fully engaged in conversation through the conference room, and we met some very interesting folks.  Directly across from our display was a poster from Nicolas and Don Coffman that involved the use of Makey Makey boards and digital music controllers.  It is great to see the use of Makey Makey (which Dave Medvitz and I have worked with thanks to a connection I made with someone at the last ISME Conference) becoming more pervasive in music education.  Our work was met with much enthusiasm as well, and we made connections with several people with whom I look forward to communicating in the future.  I was also pleased, after discussing our work with music technology, to invite people to hear us perform tomorrow night and Thursday when we will make use of the same technologies we presented in our poster.  I hope seeing and hearing our work in musical practice will help to show the creative performance potential of digital devices used both in conjunction with as well as apart from "traditional" instruments.

I was also quite happy to attend a presentation given by Alex Ruthmann (NYU) and Gisle Johnson (CEO/Founder Greig Music Education, Norway).  They presented about the work they have done with musicdelta.com, an impressive, cloud-based music education platform that has been evolving since 2005.  Alex, with whom I first connected at ISME in 2012, continues to do impressive work with his students at NYU.  They are currently offering an online music production/engineering/education course called Play With Your Music which gives participants an interactive way to engage with the tools and techniques used in modern music making/producing/recording.  They have partnered with Peter Gabriel who has made available the individual instrument/vocal tracks from his songs 'Sledgehammer' and 'In Your Eyes' so that users can learn to mix, remix, and develop listening skills with regarding to space, depth, and panning.  It is VERY impressive technology which is also allowing users to make connections with other users with similar musical/educational interests.  Alex also spoke about the work his students are doing in designing and building digital musical instruments, and the importance of their documenting their creative processes along the way.  I have been very interested in exploring ways of documenting "process' in music education, so this work was very inspiring to me.  Take a look at the site Build In Progress to see some examples of this work.  Very impressive stuff, and it presents many pedagogical and creative ideas worth considering as we begin to use our new Makerspace.

In the late afternoon, I was able to work with Paul on practicing and refining some last-minute details for our performances tomorrow and Thursday.  The concert tomorrow night will take place at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul.  You will see a picture below of the concert hall where we will be performing.  We are the only group representing the US on this concert, which also features ensembles from Scotland, Mexico, Chile, South Africa, Sweden, and Brazil.  Should be a great time!

And following the conference and our rehearsal work, we went for a tremendous dinner at a Churrascaria (traditional Brazilian barbecue/steakhouse) where I had perhaps the best (and biggest) steak I have ever had.  It was truly amazing.  So between that and the busy schedule of the past few days, I will sleep well tonight.

Samples of posters:





The hall of poster sessions!


The concert hall at UFRGS where we will perform tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment